Menopause is something that 100% of women go through, but everyone experiences it differently. There are common symptoms that most of us will have heard of, like hot flushes and mood swings, but would you associate hair loss with menopause?
Around two-thirds of women experience hair loss related to menopause, and this is caused by hormonal changes. During menopause, your oestrogen levels decrease, and as oestrogen is a hair-friendly hormone, this can cause hair thinning and loss. In this blog, I want to talk about hair loss during menopause and how wigs can be your secret weapon against hair loss.
What might you notice as you enter menopause?
- You might notice that your ponytail feels thinner.
- Your hair might not be able to reach the lengths that it used to.
- You might notice thinning around your parting and around the crown.
- Your hair may recede at the temples and the front won’t look or feel as thick.
What your doctor might suggest
The usual treatments for hair thinning and loss related to the menopause are:
- Topical treatments like minoxidil that stimulate the hair follicles.
- Lifestyle changes, dietary supplements, and reducing stress.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)- HRT replenishes your oestrogen levels so it can help reduce menopause symptoms like hot flushes and it can also help with hair thinning. Make sure you discuss the pros and cons with your doctor though, as it’s not for everyone and might not be suitable if you have certain health conditions or a family history of them.
How could wigs help?
Wigs and hair systems are a great way to make you feel more confident and disguise hair loss until your natural hair grows back. Regaining your confidence is especially important during the menopause, when many women find that their confidence and self-esteem is affected anyway.
Wigs can not only make you look and feel confident and glam, they can protect your natural hair too which is important so you avoid putting any stress on it while it’s growing back.
Another advantage of wigs is that they can give you the chance to experiment with new hair colours and styles. Of course, if you want to re-create your own natural colour and style, you can do that too. Anything is possible! If you want something that is uniquely yours, ask us about our custom wigs.
Other things to consider when choosing a wig are your lifestyle, your budget, and how you want to attach your wig to keep it secure. These are all things we can chat about when you come to the salon for a consultation.
We can help you find your perfect wig!
At Salon La Reine, we are specialists in hair loss solutions like wigs, toppers, and hair systems, that can help you disguise any hair thinning or loss while your natural hair grows back.
We also custom make colour wigs and we’re super excited to announce that we’re adding a ‘build your own wig’ page to our website in October! You’ll be able to make your wig to fit the exact proportions of your own head and choose any colour you like. Watch this space!
Get in touch if you’d like to find out more or book a consultation to see how we can help you get back on the road to confidence and happy, healthy hair.